For many years, I experimented with various methods for making flaky, buttery biscuits but I was never completely happy with the results! Even the methods I loved did not produce consistent results which made it hard to share the recipe with others as I could not guarantee they would turn out! The issue was the butter! When you place your cold biscuits in the hot oven, the heat causes the little globules of butter to explode which causes the flakiness. So a few years ago, I decided to try this new method and I have never gone back! It produces the perfect globules of butter and is easily replicated.
2 cup cold buttermilk 18 tablespoons butter, divided 4 cups all purpose flour more for counter 2 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda 4 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon table salt
Preheat oven to 425* and place parchment paper on cookie sheet.
1. Place buttermilk in freezer proof dish and place in freezer for at least 10 min.
2. Place 16 TBSP butter in microwave safe dish and heat until melted.
3. Place butter in fridge until you are ready for it.
4. Place all dry ingredients onto work surface, sift or stir together.
5. Make a very defined well in the middle of the dry ingredients.
6. Remove buttermilk from freezer and butter from fridge. Mix quickly. You will see all those beautiful clumps of butter forming!
7. Place half of the butter/buttermilk mixture in the well of your flour. Mix together, then carefully add remaining milk and butter.
8. Working quickly, mix dough with your hands just until mixed. Lightly flour your work surface as you go. You want just enough flour so it doesn’t stick but do not use too much of your biscuits will be tough.
9. Shape dough into a circle, approximately 1 1/2” thick. Using a 2 1/2” biscuit cutter, begin cutting out biscuits. Make sure to place your cutter as close to the edge as possible and cut the biscuits as close together as you can so you get as many as you can the first time. Make sure to not twist your cutter! Just push it straight in the dough and pull the biscuit straight onto your parchment lined cookie sheet about 1.5” apart. Take any remaining dough and reshape your 1 1/2” thick circle. Repeat until done, it should not take more than 3 times.
10. Place in pre-heated oven and bake from approx 12-18 min. You want them to be brown but not too brown.
11. Melt remaining 4 TBSP of butter and brush over tops of biscuits and Enjoy!